The ESP course: Mastering the art of educational planning
Forge ahead in your career while maintaining your professional activity.
The Education Sector Planning course allows participants to acquire and further develop the knowledge and skills needed to perform effectively their educational planning responsibilities.
The course content covers the main planning functions and provides state-of-the-art training in areas such as education sector diagnosis, plan preparation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
Whom is this course intended for?
- MoE educational planners, policy analysts, education statisticians;
- Other professionals involved in educational planning at central or decentralized level;
- Planners working in other Ministries involved in social sector planning, such as Ministry of Planning, Ministry of Social Affairs, Ministry of Finance;
- Education specialists working in international NGO and donor agencies.
What are the main course contents and skills acquired?
Participants in the ESP course gain competence in education sector diagnosis, policy and strategy formulation, and implementation planning, gaining breadth in the use of education statistics and simulation tools for planning. More particularly, upon completion of the course, they are expected to be able to:
- Conduct statistical analysis for education sector planning;
- Design and draft an education sector diagnosis
- Use simulation/projection tools for plan target setting;
- Evaluate the relevance and feasibility of alternative strategies, aimed to attain the set objectives and strategies;
- Operationalize plan objectives into education sector programmes;
- Design organizational frameworks for plan monitoring and evaluation;
- Select, analyse, and present relevant information for planning;
- Organize collaborative work for education sector planning tasks;
- Moderate dialogue and consultation with stakeholders in the plan preparation process.
How do participants learn?
Conducted in Paris and online, the ESP Programme combines 12 weeks of online studying in the participant’s home country with a period of 13 weeks in Paris for face-to-face classes.
The main modes of learning in the ESP course include lectures, case studies, collaborative group work, peer learning, and planning exercises, combining online with face-to-face learning. The training also includes field visits allowing participants to observe the French education system.