The need for an IIEP remains higher than ever. (UNESCO Internal Oversight Services, 2013)
An effective ministry is guided by a plan which brings together all stakeholders and is regularly monitored and updated. IIEP strongly believes that planning is not a one-off activity. Rather it is a continuous practice that should engage all ministry departments and partners at national and subnational levels in a consultative and participatory process. Institutionalizing planning necessitates that ministries establish a strategic vision and priorities, coordinate their programmes and budgets annually and within a medium-term expenditure framework, negotiate with national and international financing agencies, and periodically monitor that it is on track to achieve policy objectives through implementation reviews.
Strategic planning guides educational development by giving a common vision and shared priorities. Educational planning is both visionary and pragmatic, engaging a wide range of actors in defining education’s future and mobilizing resources to reach its goals. For policy-makers, planning offers the path to:
- implement education reform and system transformation;
- realize equal opportunities for children and youth;
- provide quality education for all.
IIEP has strong experience and expertise in strategic planning and has developed in collaboration with the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) two newly published documents to help ministries in charge of education transform their processes and operations to meet the challenges of a changing world:
- Guidelines for Education Sector Plan Appraisal
- Guidelines for Education Sector Plan Preparation
- Guidelines for transitional education plan preparation
These publications echo the unique approach of IIEP to capacity development and to bring comprehensive responses built on its ability to:
- train and coach on concepts, processes and tools to improve the practice of educational planning and management;
- analyse and reflect on education trends and issues from a policy and planning perspective;
- provide technical assistance and policy advice on critical issues for educational development.