Barbara Tournier is the project coordinator of IIEP’s research on teacher management. She also manages IIEP’s training offer (distance and face-to-face) on teacher management.
More specifically, she works on organizational aspects of teacher management to offer insights on how improved organization of education systems can help better support teachers in their daily activities and enhance their motivation. At present her research work focuses understanding what constitutes an appealing teacher career system and its implications for the profession. She is also developing distance education materials on human resources management and its application to teacher management.
Besides her work on human resource management, she is actively involved in supporting the institute in other key domains. With over a decade of experience in educational planning, her areas of expertise include school mapping, education sector diagnosis, education sector plan preparation, Education Management Information Systems and HIV & AIDS and education.
Before joining the Institute she was a Consultant at the FAO in Rome (Italy).
- Master of Science in Research and Evaluation Methods in Education from Sussex University (United Kingdom), Master of Science in Population and Development from the London School of Economics and Political Science (United Kingdom), is currently studying for a Doctorate in Education at the University of Sussex.
- Tournier, B. Forthcoming. Organizational aspects of secondary teacher management in developing countries. Paris: IIEP-UNESCO.
- Göttelmann-Duret, G.; Tournier, B. 2008. Crucial Management Aspects of Equitable Teacher Provision. Background paper for the UNESCO Global Monitoring Report 2009.
- Caillods, F.; Tournier, B.; Kelly, M.J. 2008. AIDS and education: the planner’s perspective. In: Commonwealth Education Partnerships.2008/09, Education in the Commonwealth: Towards the MDGs Cambridge: Nexus Strategic Partnerships.
- Caillods, F.; Kelly, M.J.; Tournier, B. 2008. IIEP Brief for planners. HIV and AIDS: Challenges and Approaches within the Education Sector. Paris: IIEP-UNESCO.
- Tournier, B. 2007. Learner’s guide, Educational planning and management in a world with AIDS. Paris. IIEP-UNESCO/ESART.