SACMEQ in Action
Preparation of Draft Chapters for the SACMEQ III Project National Report
From 26 to 30 July 2010, IIEP hosted a Working Meeting for SACMEQ National Research Coordinators (NRCs) and their Deputies (DNRCs) on the theme of ‘Preparation of Draft Chapters for the SACMEQ III Project National Report’.
A total of 51 participants attended the Working Meeting, including 39 NRCs and DNRCs from 15 Ministries of Education(1), representatives from development partners (UNICEF and the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs), four staff members from UNESCO Headquarters as observers, staff members of the SACMEQ Coordinating Centre and of IIEP, and consultants of the SACMEQ circle.
The main objective was to provide ‘hands-on’ computer-based training to access, analyse, and prepare National Educational Policy Reports based on the national data files that were prepared for the SACMEQ III Project.
Among various themes treated in the SACMEQ III Project during the week, special focus was placed on the following:
- Pupil reading and mathematics achievement:
- achievement levels and trends by region;
- achievement levels by school location, gender, and SES levels; and
- changes in desirable reading and mathematics levels.
- HIV and AIDS:
- knowledge levels by region, gender, and school location;
- attitudes about HIV and AIDS; and
- risk perceptions about HIV and AIDS.
- School resources:
- classroom resources;
- physical resources; and
- human resources.
The Working Meeting allowed the NRCs and DNRCs to make progress on the completion of the draft chapters on the above themes. They will finalize their National Educational Policy Reports over the course of 2010.
(1) Botswana, Kenya, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania Mainland, Uganda, Zambia, Zanzibar, and Zimbabwe